Leaving

Friday, June 24, 2011


I think of you

As I pack away the last of the treasures
I’ve gathered over the years
Into boxes to throw away
I need to make room for you
And these treasures have been
Hidden in my closet so long
The memories have rotted around them
I sweep the broom across the floor
And think of how since I’ve come
To this place I’ve had to work on my smiles,
Teach them how to curve again the way they used to
But they’ve never been quite right
And you were the only one to see that
I was letting go of myself for everyone else
I’m leaving for her too,
So she never has a chance
To taste the atmosphere with her tongue
And learn to speak like a viper
And only to smirk, never to laugh
Time for water and vinegar
Now that the clothes are in plastic bags
So they don’t get wet
This mixture will kill the bacteria
Left in my life and finally
When the room is emptied
I’ll say my final prayer, final goodbye
And leave this brokenness behind forever

0 comments:

Post a Comment